Builder announced for $150m Carpentaria Highway Upgrade in NT

2 min read
Monica Gameng   |   June 16, 2022
Carpentaria Highway sign (cr: expressway.online)

Major upgrades to several sections of the 138-kilometre Carpentaria Highway in the Northern Territory will soon begin following the award of a design and construction contract to Exact Contracting. 

The contract will have a value of $67 million for the first stage of the project. 

“The last year has shown us just how important it is to upgrade key freight and transport routes to deal with increased flooding and severe weather events. 

“We know how important good roads are to the NT. That’s why we are investing in key freight roads and access roads for remote communities across the Territory,” Federal Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government Minister Catherine King said. 

The $150 million Carpentaria Highway Upgrade is jointly funded by the Australian and Northern Territory Governments on an 80:20 basis and the project is going to be delivered in two stages. 

Stage 1 will upgrade the first 48 kilometres of the highway while the second stage will upgrade from Chainage 50 kilometres to Chainage 140 kilometres. 

The first stage of the Carpentaria Highway Upgrade is due to be completed by April 2023. 

This major upgrade will include building a two-lane sealed road with a raised formation to help improve flood immunity as well as constructing culverts to improve cross drainage where required. 

“The Carpentaria Highway is a key access road to Borroloola and surrounding regions, and an important service route for the pastoral, tourism, agricultural and mining sectors, including the Beetaloo Sub-Basin. 

“Upgrading Carpentaria Highway will involve sealing, reconstruction, widening and elevating the road alignment to increase flood immunity, meaning this important route will have improves accessibility throughout the year, improving access to health services and economic opportunities. 

“Connecting the Territory and making sure business can keep moving is important, and this local Territory business completing these works know how vital this road is,” NT Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics Minister Eva Lawler said. 

This multi-million-dollar project is anticipated to support 135 jobs, with a target of 29 per cent for Indigenous Employer and Supplier Use. 

The Carpentaria Highway Upgrade builds on multiple strategic projects already underway that will help bring into reality the Northern Territory’s vision to become a world-class gas production, manufacturing as well as services hub. 

“These upgrades are expected to deliver many benefits, including more efficient and reliable roads, improved freight productivity and access to freight gateways, and safer roads in line with Towards Zero Road Safety Action Plan. 

“The works will also better connect Territorians with jobs and services, and goods with markets, while also bolstering flood immunity, reducing annual road closures. 

“Crucially, Indigenous territories will benefit from improved access to healt and social services for remote and Indigenous communities, while the project will also increase Aboriginal employment and business supplier use,” Federal Member for Lingiari Marion Scrymgour said. 

Source: Minister for Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government; Northern Territory Government Newsroom; Northern Territory Government – Department of Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics 

New call-to-action

Monica Gameng
As Felix's Marketing Assistant since 2015, Monica is responsible for researching and sharing new and progressing projects within the construction and mining sectors in Australia. It's no surprise that Monica has her finger on the pulse of Australian major projects given she has produced more than 1,000 posts. She truly is an industry expert.
Follow me:

Related Articles

Projects
Local contractor appointed to deliver works on NT Tanami Road upgrade

Local Northern Territory contractor Exact Contracting will be carrying out the sealing of a 150-kilometre section of the Tanami Road in Central Australia following the award of a $73 million tender. 

Projects, NT
Another section of the $355m Central Arnhem Road Upgrade to get underway

Another section of the Central Arnhem Road in the Northern Territory will soon be upgraded, and local Territory business Allan King & Sons Construction has been awarded a $36.8 million contract to undertake the works. 

Projects
NT Plenty Highway to receive a $25 million upgrade

The Northern Territory is set to benefit from the Australian Government’s $600 million Northern Australia Roads Program (NARP), with road sealing works on Plenty Highway set to go underway.

Get the latest project news

Formerly known as the PlantMiner blog, Felix Project News is Australia's top 10 Construction blog. Join thousands of construction and mining pros getting the best content right in their inbox.
  • updates on Australia's pipeline of state and federal projects
  • fresh contract awards from major contractors and builders

If you're looking to contact us about other matters, please contact us.

Select your preferred email frequency
Which best describes you?
Please Select*
  • Please Select*
  • I hire plant, equipment or subcontractors
  • I supply plant, equipment or subcontracting trades
  • Both
  • Other

By submitting this form you agree with the T&Cs and Privacy Policy and you consent to allow Felix to store and process the personal information submitted above to facilitate your request.