Additional funding committed to get Homebush Bay Dr upgrade underway

3 min read
Monica Gameng   |   March 23, 2025
Homebush Bay Drive intersection (cr: Transport for NSW)

An additional $50 million is being invested by the Australian Government to get works underway to upgrade Homebush Bay Drive near Sydney Olympic Park. 

This funding brings the total Commonwealth contribution to $100 million, alongside the New South Wales Government’s existing $50 million investment towards the project. 

“This project was promised for seven years by the Coalition but they never committed the funds that were required. 

“This community has been promised this upgrade for years, and I know they’re looking forward to have their say on the proposed upgrades,” Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government Minister Catherine King said. 

The now $150 million upgrade will help relieve congestion around and improve traffic flow at “Sydney’s worst roundabout” outside the Direct Factory Outlet (DFO) site – locally known as the DFO Roundabout. 

Motorists are currently experiencing significant delays, long queues and wait times at the intersection of Homebush Bay Drive, Australia Avenue and Underwood Road, particularly during morning, evening and weekend peak periods as well as during special events at Sydney Olympic Park. 

About 5,000 vehicles travel through the existing roundabout every hour during weekday peak times, and this intersection performs poorly in terms of road safety – seeing 41 crashes between 2019 and 2023. 

The population of Homebush has doubled over the last ten years and as it continues to grow, the increasing number of vehicles will put more strain on this critical access point. 

“This additional funding from the Federal Labor Government is extremely welcome as we enter the final design stage on a solution for an intersection which is fair to describe as Australia’s worst roundabout. 

“Whether it is trying to get to a big event at Olympic Park on time or just getting home from work, this intersection has been a headache, there is no getting around that,” NSW Minister for Roads John Graham said. 

“We know this intersection will continue to get busier, with the popularity of major events bringing visitors to the area along with the population in Sydney Olympic Park and the surrounding suburbs continuing to grow. 

“It’s vital that we get a long-term solution in place, that’s what makes the additional funding from the Federal Government so welcome,” NSW Member for Parramatta Donna Davis said. 

Several improvements were made to the roundabout in December of last year to help improve safety. The works included roundabout operating signs, new traffic loop detectors and advance warning signs on off-ramps. 

The additional investment towards the project will ensure funding is available to deliver a long-term solution to ease traffic for both residents and visitors of Homebush. 

In December, new advance warning signs, traffic loops and roundabout operating signs were introduced to make this roundabout safer. 

The Homebush Bay Drive upgrade project will deliver a signalised intersection, with several options set to be released for community consultation in the coming months. 

“This new investment will pave the way for us to deliver the long-term improvements that Homebush Bay Drive needs. I look forward to inviting local residents to have their say on the future upgrade,”  

Transport for NSW has proposed upgrading the roundabout to a signalised intersection, configured as a Diverging Diamond Interchange. 

Key features of this proposed option will include: 

  • Upgrading the existing roundabout to a signalised intersection to allow for real-time peak period adjustments 
  • Widening Australia Avenue, Underwood Road and Homebush Bay Drive (southbound) off ramp approaches to three lanes 
  • Providing a U turn lane on the Homebush Bay Drive northbound approach to allow traffic flow onto Homebush Bay Drive southbound on ramp towards M4 Motorway 
  • Providing left slip lanes at all approaches 
  • Widening existing pedestrian footpaths on Australia Avenue and Underwood Road to provide shared use (pedestrian and cyclist) pathways 
  • Providing coordinated pedestrian activated traffic signals on all approaches 
  • Building a signalised shared use crossing on Australia Avenue 
  • Upgrading existing signalised pedestrian crossings on Homebush Bay Drive on and off ramp approaches and Underwood Road to signalised shared use crossings 
  • Building new shared use refuge islands 
  • Improving existing on-road bicycle lanes 

Source: Minister for Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government; Transport for NSW; Parra News; News.com.au; Roads & Infrastructure Australia 

New call-to-action

Monica Gameng
As Felix's Marketing Assistant since 2015, Monica is responsible for researching and sharing new and progressing projects within the construction and mining sectors in Australia. It's no surprise that Monica has her finger on the pulse of Australian major projects given she has produced more than 1,000 posts. She truly is an industry expert.
Follow me:

Related Articles

Projects, NSW
Consultation begins for the $130m Avoca Drive upgrade at Kincumber

Residents in New South Wales’ Central Coast are invited to have their say on the proposed safety and efficiency improvement options for the much-awaited Avoca Drive upgrade at Kincumber. 

Projects, NSW
Designs revealed for proposed $520m Richmond Road upgrade

Designs for the upgrade on Richmond Road between the M7 Motorway and Townson Road in Marsden Park, New South Wales have been unveiled and community consultation is now underway. 

Projects
$280m Prospect Highway Upgrade in NSW given the construction go-ahead

Construction on the $280 million upgrade on Prospect Highway in New South Wales has been given the green light and Fulton Hogan has been awarded the contract to deliver the entire project. 

Get the latest project news

Formerly known as the PlantMiner blog, Felix Project News is Australia's top 10 Construction blog. Join thousands of construction and mining pros getting the best content right in their inbox.
  • updates on Australia's pipeline of state and federal projects
  • fresh contract awards from major contractors and builders

If you're looking to contact us about other matters, please contact us.

Select your preferred email frequency
Which best describes you?
Please Select*
  • Please Select*
  • I hire plant, equipment or subcontractors
  • I supply plant, equipment or subcontracting trades
  • Both
  • Other

By submitting this form you agree with the T&Cs and Privacy Policy and you consent to allow Felix to store and process the personal information submitted above to facilitate your request.